Tuesday, March 29, 2011

March is National Craft Month

Sandyquiltz asked in big tent quite a while ago what we would be doing to celebrate the crafty month.  Well my celebration this month included doing a festival where I was hoping to make a huge debut to the world.   Well guess what...

The festival was a total bust!!!

A volunteer showed up to tell me my cup cozies were unwelcome because "they were an art show and the cozies weren't art".   I had to pick my jaw up off the floor and barely contained my disdain since the guy in the booth next to me was selling Native American wares that were obviously store bought. I had no idea that my crafty art was not welcome I didn't see it anywhere on the application but who knows.  So my Lego earrings are "art" but a hand made from pattern to product cozy was not!!! I was allowed to keep them in a discreet place because she hadn't had the nerve to call me and let me know they didn't want them there.  I am so very glad I hadn't made any more of them...or the other quilty things like the change purses I was going to finish.    

I am sooooo not thick skinned enough to be doing all this apparently.  Would love to say that I didn't let it get to me but it so killed all the excitement I had for the day.

The show didn't prove to be good for my friend and I...we will not be back.   The economy is hard right now too...no one really seemed to be selling much. I had not a hope in the world of selling a thing but this was the first time I have ever shared my paintings with the world in this way and I had really hoped to get a lot of feedback on my art since I use a lot of odd things in my paintings.  That is my favorite part of the festivals is to talk with the artists to see what inspires them and how they go about making their pieces.   But I can count on one hand the number of people who asked about techniques or what things were used to create our pieces. 

But our booth looked okay :) for a newbie...



My friend Dottie made me an "earring tree" to put my Lego earrings on...



Left Table..

Right Table


And you HAVE to see this shirt...my friend Dottie took inspiration from one of my Kaffe Fasset quilting books...The Jeweled Squares Quilt from Kafe Fassett Patchwork

It is fabulous from top to bottom...hand painted and it took her over 5 years to finish!
I wish someone had bought it I am way too plus to wear this size large!

BRIGHT SPOT FOR THE DAY!!!
The lady in the booth to our right was selling the most wonderful wind chimes made of vintage housewares...leaning heavily towards old kitchen goods...they are one of the most creative things i have ever seen.  And with a massively windy day Saturday it was lovely to hear them chime all day long...Her name is Linda Holt and I can't find a website for her...I wish I could because not only were her wares wonderful but she was a super nice lady!!!



A really bad storm ended our day early and put us out of our misery....
But it was good weather for the ducks!!!


This one totally sucked the life outta me....
Hopefully I can gather my courage to do this again someday. 

NOTE...SOMEDAY!!!!

When my skin has thickened up properly!


2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear it was a bust--and not only in terms of sales/attendance but in terms of what happened to you personally. I imagine that part of doing the festivals is figuring out which ones are the best fit for you and the most worth your time. Some are better managed than others, better publicized, better located, better scheduled...It's a trial and error thing, I would guess. I hope you won't quit! I enjoyed the pictures of your booth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure know about not having thick skin. Jennifer, I feel so bad for you. I knew you were looking forward to this a lot. I wonder if you would post onto Etsy some of your items if things would go better for you. Kudos for going out and selling your stuff. I also really like talking to the artists and finding out some about their processes, - that was the best part about going to the reniassance festival this past fall, getting to talk to the card weaver, the leather armor wearer. :) Take care and thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete