Monday, March 7, 2011

March Is Deep Vein Thrombosis(DVT) Awareness Month


March is DVT Awareness Month. Deep vein thrombosis can be a very serious problem for those it afflicts.   In worse case scenarios the clot can travel to your lungs(pulmonary embolism) and cause more serious complications including death.

Most of you probably don't know that in October of 2010 I was down for the count for a month with a blood clot in my left leg.  It was a shock to say the least since I had no warning signs before it struck suddenly. One minute I could walk and the next I was unable to bear weight on it at all.  I thought I had a pulled muscle until it didn't go away after a few days.   I was lucky my clot stayed put and after a few months of blood thinners and some sexy compression socks I am as good as new with very few repercussions.  Please go to http://www.thisisserious.org/ to asses your own risk factors and to try and prevent this from happening to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment